Cydia is an application store for iOS devices that is completely different from Apple’s patented App Store because it only be accessed by iOS devices that have been jailbroken, meaning that in order for a person to access Cydia through their iPhone, they would have to first jailbreak it. Access to Cydia is one of the many perks of jailbreaking an iPhone and is one of the most important reasons why people around the world jailbreak their iPhones. People argue that Cydia is an application store that should not even exist. Well, technically, Cydia is the “beta” or “test” version of Apple’s App Store. To be more specific, before the App Store existed, Cydia was Apple’s patented application store. However, with the arrival of the iPhone 2 and with it, the App Store, Apple did not allow stock iOS devices to access Cydia. Since Apple did not allow any iOS devices apart from the iPhone 1 and its counterparts to have access to Cydia, not many people know about it.
Cydia applications are applications that can be downloaded only though Cydia and work exclusively on jailbroken iOS devices such as jailbroken iPhones. Only the people who own iPhones that have been jailbroken can access the plethora of applications that Cydia has to offer and download them onto their devices so that they too can experience the true perks of the jailbreaking process.
When a person jailbreaks their iPhone and learns about the existence of Cydia, they start wondering about the types of applications that Cydia has to offer. Well, most rookies who own jailbroken iPhones want to know what Cydia applications they should try and what Cydia applications they should stay away from. The following is a list of the best Cydia applications of all time that rookies with jailbroken iPhones can use in order to know their way around Cydia:
- Winterboard – Perhaps the most infamous application to have ever surfaced Cydia and the reason why most people jailbreak their iPhones, Winterboard is a must-have application for all the iPhone users who think that Apple should allow them to theme their iPhones according to their will. Winterboard allows iPhone users to theme their iPhone according to their desires, which is the reason why it is so famous among iPhone users. One may even go as far as to say that the level of customization provided by a jailbroken iPhone that has been acquainted with Winterboard is equal, if not superior, to the level of customization provided by the Android Operating System. Winterboard allows iPhone users to do what they have always wanted to do. In addition, Winterboard allows users to decide what almost every part of their iPhone should look like.
- SBSettings- SBSettings is without a doubt the second most useful and famous application that Cydia has to offer. Most iPhone users have for long envied Android users because the almost all Android powered cell phones provide a “Quick Settings” or “Quick Configuration” area or bar in the drop-down notification area. However, that is not the case with iPhone users who own jailbroken iPhones and have downloaded this application. SBSettings is an application that provides iPhone users with a number of “Quick Configuration” screens which can be easily accessed by simply swiping the status bar at the top f an iPhone’s screen. SBSettings is a must-have application for every iPhone user who wants to tweak their iPhone setting every now and then. In addition, SBSettings also provides iPhone users with certain toggles or switches that the stock “Settings” application that every iPhone houses does not, making this application superior to the stock Settings application in a number of ways.
- AsBattery- Even though asBattery is an application that does one of the pettiest things imaginable, it is an application that most people desperately need. AsBattery does no more than one thing- it adds a remaining battery percentage to the status bar that is located at the top of an iPhone’s display. Many people need to know exactly how much percentage of their battery they have left. These people think that it is a shame that Apple hasn’t provided this feature as a stock feature. Well, asBattery is the solution to the problem that these people.
- Backgrounder- Many people find it saddening that Apple does not allow iPhones to run applications in the background because this is something that causes a lot of problems for them. Well, Backgrounder is a popular Cydia application that can help fix this problem since it is an application that makes an iPhone capable of running applicationsin the background.
- Cycorder- Cycorder is an application that is only helpful for iPhone users who own an iPhone 3G or an older iPhone. The iPhone models 1.x, 2.x and 3G are the models of iPhones that are incapable of recording videos. This problem can be fixed by simply jailbreaking an iPhone and installing this application through Cydia. Cycorder is an application that enables an iPhone to record a video and even though the quality of the video is not as good as it should be, it is definitely bearable.
- MyWi- MyWi allows users to tether their iPhone to their computer through a USB cable in order to use the internet and also allows users to turn their iPhone into a Wifi router. MyWi costs a lot but when a person sums up all of the advantages of owning MyWi, it is definitely worth it.
- Barrel- Barrel is an amazing Cydia application that allows users to change the animation that their iPhone displays while transitioning between home screen pages. In addition, as Barrel has become more and more popular, it has added a large number of new transitions that are quite interesting.
- IntelliscreenX- Many iPhone users are jealous of the “lock screen widgets” feature that Android 4.2 has introduced. Well, IntelliscreenX does not allow users to add widgets to their lock screen but does display all the information they need- text messages, calls, e-mails, updates from social networks, weather information, calendar and upcoming events directly on their lock screen.